School Talk+, Summer 2021
Welcome to School Talk+! This exclusively online edition will offer additional content and photos about the stories you read in the District's mailed news magazine, School Talk.
Spring virtual art shows
Since schools weren't able to host in-person art shows this year, elementary art teachers created a virtual art show for each school (Snail Lake has a separate video). Watch the full shows below.
Irondale Colorguard featured in Halftime Magazine
The Irondale winter colorguard team was featured in Halftime Magazine for their use of creative lighting techniques and technologies due to the ongoing pandemic and virtual nature of their programs. Watch the video below, with Irondale's section beginning at the 40-second mark.
Irondale Drama wins Spotlight Awards
Irondale Drama presented its spring musical, High School Musical, in its new 650-seat auditorium in May. Hennepin Theatre Trust's Spotlight Education Program was in attendance and awarded the musical with the Outstanding Overall Production Award, among other awards listed below. Learn more about the Spotlight Education Program here.
Spotlight Showcase 2021 awards for Irondale Drama
- Outstanding Overal Production: Irondale Drama, High School Musical
- Outstanding actor in a leading role: Edward Renshaw
- Outstanding actress in a supporting role: Sophia Haugen
- Outstanding technical leadership: Dreena Kuto
- Honorable mentions in a leading role: Alec Cummings, Cate Causey-Mullaney, Ava O’Rourke
- Honorable Mention in a supporting role: Matteo Beach
- Honorable mention in technical leadership: Ava Ericson
- Evaluator shout outs: Miles Collins, Alla Killins, Aidan Kadid
Irondale/Nagasaki Sister City photo exchange
In honor of the 65th anniversary of the "Sister City" relationship between St. Paul and Nagasaki, Japan, Irondale photography students contributed a series of photos in an exchange with students at Nakasaki Higashi High School in Japan. Japanese language students from Harding High School in St. Paul also contributed to the photo exchange. To learn more about the program and see all of the photos in the exchange, click here.
Mounds View competes in Math Bowl
Four students from the Mounds View High School Math League were invited to the statewide Invitational Event in March. The Math Bowl is a live competition with elimination after certain rounds until one student is left. Linden Lee has qualified for the Math Bowl!
- First place - North Suburban Division
- Fifth place in overall state level
- Linden Lee (sophomore): Second place in Division, sixth place overall at the state level
- Aurora Wang (sophomore): First place in Division, seventh place overall at the state level
- Michael Wang (freshman): Third place in Division
- Cynthia Dong (junior): Fifth place in Division
- Gavin Chang (junior): Tenth place in Division
Learn more about the Math League here.