World Language Assessments
Mounds View Public Schools District offers 3 assessments geared toward awarding College Credits for our Bilingual or Multilingual High School students in 10, 11 and 12th grades.
Advanced Placement (AP)
MN Bilingual Seals Program (AAPPL, Avant STAMP, Extempore)
Spanish, Chinese, Japanese
Spanish, and Spanish with Writing
25 Languages Amharic, Arabic,, Somali, Oromo, Mandarin Chinese (Mandarin), Vietnamese, Hmong, Czech, and many more
Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
(Qualifies for the MN Bilingual Seals)
Listening and Reading and/or Writing (does not qualify for the MN Bilingual Seals Program)
Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking (Qualifies for the MN Bilingual Seals)
WHEN & WHERE
Irondale and Mounds View High Schools
May 1 - May 12, 2023
Irondale: Nov. 7, 2022, Jan. 17, 2023 and May 22, 2023
Mounds View: Nov. 10, 2022, Jan. 23, 2023 and May 25, 2023
Irondale and Mounds View High Schools
Nov. 1, 2022 - Jan. 13, 2023 - May 18, 2023
AP College Credit Policy (MDE approved assessment for Bilingual Seals)
See College Credit info below (MN Bilingual Seals Program)
LINKS TO MORE INFORMATION
See info below
***Students should opt for 1 of the assessments stated above that best matches their Post-Secondary plans.
THE MINNESOTA BILINGUAL SEALS PROGRAM
The MN Department of Education created the Bilingual and Multilingual Seals and the World Language Proficiency Certificate in an effort to support students' achievement in a language other than English regardless of how the language was learned. Mounds View Public Schools District is excited to provide this opportunity and elevate all families with linguistic assets and encourage monolingual English speakers to learn another language.
The Bilingual and Multilingual Seals and World Language Proficiency Certificate are awards given to high school students (upon graduation) who meet 2 requirements:
- Proficiency levels in languages other than English including American Sign Language (ASL) and American Indian languages. Students must show proficiency in four language modalities - Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking through a MN Department of Education approved assessment.
- Meet all High School Language Arts credit requirements
EARN UP TO 4 FREE COLLEGE CREDITS with a
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU)
Amharic, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Czech, Dakota, German, French, Hindi, Hebrew, Hmong, Italian, Japanese, Karen, Korean, Latin, Ojibwe, Oromo, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Tamil and Vietnamese, ASL
- Students in Grades 10, 11 or 12 are eligible.
Note: The World Language Proficiency Certificate can be awarded at any grade. However, the student can only earn college credit when they take an approved assessment (starting in 10th grade) and meet English Language Arts upon graduation.
REGISTER AND TAKE A TEST AT THE HIGH SCHOOL
Online Interest Form
2022-23 Registration deadline - JAN. 30, 2023
2022-23 TESTING WINDOW
Testing window FEB. 13 - FEB. 24
Registered students will be contacted with exact date and time
Exams will be administered at each High School: Mounds View and Irondale
AVAILABLE BILINGUAL SEALS AND WORLD LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE
Results from the MDE approved assessment in all 4 language modalities (listening, reading, speaking and writing) will indicate which Bilingual Seals or World Language Certificate the student will receive:
- Bilingual Platinum Seal - ACTFL Advanced Low
- Bilingual Gold Seal - ACTFL Intermediate High
- World Language Certificate - ACTFL Intermediate Low
Depending on the proficiency level received through an approved assessment and meeting all English Language Arts requirements, the student may receive the following FREE College Semester Credits with a Minnesota State College and universities
Notes: *Seals received are notated on the student’s high school Transcript upon graduation
**Students must request the college semester credits within three academic years of graduation and upon enrollment in a Minnesota State college or university.
***The actual amount of credit may vary depending on the institution.
HOW TO ACCESS THE COLLEGE CREDITS when awarded with a Certificate or Seal:
- Students must be enrolled in a Minnesota State Colleges and Universities* institution. * Note the University of Minnesota is an independent system that is not part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
- Students must make a request for college credit. Students should work with the admission office or advisor. In some cases, scholarship may be impacted by receiving extra credit. Therefore, students should consult with appropriate personnel or offices at the institution.
- Students have taken a test when in grades 10, 11, or 12.
- Students may be required to submit an official high school transcript.
- There is a three-year window to make a request after a high school graduation.
MDE Frequently Asked Questions LINK
DISTRICT ASSESSMENT COORDINATOR CONTACT