A checklist for comparing transportation companies:
- Get quotes from transportation providers – compare prices and service.
- Price – How much is one bus? Is there a discount for a quantity of buses 2 or 3? Other discounts?
- Is there a fuel charge or a surcharge when fuel prices increase? Is a fuel charge included in the bus price?
- Lowest bid vs quality of service?
- Schedule the bus early. If a company has your bus scheduled many months in advance it may save you money.
- What size bus do you need? They range from 21 passenger mini coaches to 56 passenger models. Here are sizes that are used: # passengers – 21, 25, 30, 47, 55, 56.
- Does the company charge for updates to the bus size if you need to downsize or go for a larger bus?
- Will the company allow students to use the bathrooms on the bus? Some companies don't.
- How new or old are the buses?
- Does the bus company have a regular maintenance program? Are the mechanics certified technicians?
- If a bus breaks down on your trip will the company have a mechanic close by to fix it?
- What are the qualifications of drivers? What is the company's safety record?
- Does the company have a 24 hour dispatch where you can contact a live person instead of a recording?
- Do the drivers handle baggage or is that up to the group?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Will the bus company provide a customer reference for you to check?