Special Education District Services

  • Special Education: Instructional Services

    Early Childhood Special Education: 
    The Early Childhood Special Education program is designed to provide evaluation and educational services to qualified preschool children from birth to kindergarten. Children from birth to age three are primarily served in home-based settings, while children ages three to five typically receive services in early childhood centers and community based facilities.  Contact phone number: 651-621-6150

    If you have concerns about your child’s development, early childhood screening is available for children ages 3 to 5 and is required prior to kindergarten enrollment. To schedule an appointment for screening call 651-621-7420.  For children under the age of three, a parent may call the Early Childhood Referral and Intake line at 1-866-693-4769 or an online referral at helpmegrowmn.org to speak to someone about a referral and screening interview.

    Kindergarten through High School: 
    Special Education and related services are available to students identified as having an educational disability.  Parents are involved in the evaluation process and the development of Individual Education Programs (IEP's) for students who meet state eligibility criteria. Special education teachers and related services professionals provide services to meet student needs according to their individualized educational program (IEP) plan.

    Transition Services:
    Students between the ages of 18 and 21 who have not achieved their goals in the areas of Independent Living (home living, community participation, recreation and leisure), Post- secondary Education and Training, and Employment are eligible to continue educational programming related to these areas based on their IEP. The Career and Life Transition (CLT) program is a community-based education program for eligible students based on their individual needs and their level of independence in the community.  

    Special Education: Related Services

    Psychological Services:
    School psychologists assist students in educational, emotional, and behavioral areas.   District psychologists assist in planning instructional and behavioral programs for students in consultation with the students, parents, and teaching staff.  They are also involved in the evaluation of students.

    Occupational/ Physical Therapy:
    Occupational therapy (OT) or physical therapy (PT) may be provided as a related service to address a student’s need in motor, self-care or sensory motor areas and necessary for the student to meet their Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals. 

    School Health Services
    School health services are designed to support students with health needs.  Licensed school nurses provide students, parents and school staff with health information as well as writing and implementing health plans when needed.  They assist in the coordination of the services for students who may have health impairments that impact their classroom learning.   The licensed school nurse supervises building  health assistants in providing specific cares.

    School Social Work Services
    School social workers help students in areas related to the student's personal and social function and to family issues. School Social workers may also assist by referring and coordinating services from other agencies.

    Speech and Language Therapy
    Educational Speech Language Pathologists provide speech/language services for students with an educational disability in articulation (speech sound disorders), language delays or disorders, or fluency or voice disorders when a student’s communication impacts their education.  Speech language pathologists provide assessment of children suspected of having a communication disability, intervention and progress monitoring.  Educational Speech Language Pathologists work with each student’s team to have an integrated role in meeting performance standards by highlighting language and literacy.