A call to action:
- Make a commitment to nutrition and physical activity
- Everyone has a role to play
- Get informed and get involved
Mounds View Public Schools will work to assure a school environment that promotes and protects students’ health, well-being and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating, physical activity and healthy life-styles. The following resources are available:
- Mounds View Public Schools – Ends & Goals Regulation EG-3106 Wellness
- Action for Healthy Kids – Healthy Foods for Kids 2006
- Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids – Guidelines for Good Nutrition at School
- Mounds View Public Schools – Committee Meeting Minutes
School fundraising can be healthy and profitable. The following resources are available:
- Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids - Fund Raising Efforts Support Healthy Eating
- Center for Science in the Public Interest - Sweet Deals
- California Department of Health Services – Project LEAN
- School Nutrition Association – Create and Promote Healthy Fundraisers
Celebrations and Rewards:
Many human behaviors have been celebrated or discourage by connecting with food. Separating these natural behaviors will take time. Small steps for change can be found below:
- Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids – Bringing Foods to School
- Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids – Discipline Alternatives
- Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids – 25 Ways to Reward and Encourage Children
- Michigan State University – Alternatives to Using Food as Rewards
- Edgewood Middle School
- Island Lake Elementary School
- Valentine Hills Elementary School 5th grade
- Valentine Hills Elementary School, 2nd grade
- Student volunteer opportunities
- Student volunteer form
SHIP grant 2009-2011 (State Health Improvement Programans) at Mounds View School District:
Activities were listed below were funded by SHIP. Our interventions increased group fitness for high school girls in the Mounds View School District.
- Irondale Activities: Activities offered were Stepping Club, Yoga, Yoga and Conditioning throughout the school year and into the summer.
- Mounds View: Offered Yoga, Kick Boxing and Latin Hip Hop classes throughout the year. Recently ordered hand weights for female non athlete students to use.
- ALC: Recently started a Yoga class for students and staff.
- Oak Grove: Ordered the x-Box Kinect to be used by students and parents for after school activities and parent teacher conferences.
What’s Happening Hot Links: