Español 1 ¡Avancemos!
Sr. Paul A. Coleman
Irondale High School 651-621-6932 Room 201
Please check my website for daily schedules and access to many resources!
Goals of Español 1:
- Develop and improve communication skills in the four modalities of listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Develop and improve pronunciation
- Promote cultural understanding
First semester we will cover Lección Preliminar - 2.2. Second semester we will cover 3.1 - 5.1 and complete a brief novel called Esperanza.
In class we will primarily use classroom sets of the textbook and work packets that I will provide to students. Every day you should bring to class:
- A folder with your work packet
- A notebook or loose leaf paper
- A pencil and a pen
* In this course, we use equal interval grading to assess student progress.
- The purpose of the equal interval scale is to encourage proficiency rather than the accumulation of points and to support student growth over the course of the semester.
- Students and parents are encouraged to communicate with teachers if current progress does not seem adequate; we can then work together to find strategies to improve proficiency.
Individual Assignment Grade Configuration
Went beyond the basic requirements for proficiency
Met all the basic requirements for proficiency.
Met some basic requirements for proficiency
Met very few basic requirements for proficiency.
Didn’t show enough work to demonstrate proficiency
Missing Evidence of Proficiency
Final Grade Configuration
No Value Assigned
Note: Regardless of the final mathematical calculation, students who do not complete required assessments will receive a final grade of I (recovered in summer school, or through after-school credit recovery programming) or NG (recovered with the classroom teacher within three weeks of the semester’s end).
Performance (80%) Practice (20%)
tests/ quizzes/ projects/ speaking tests (65%) daily work/ homework
final exam (15%) formative listening activities
Students may take a second, but similar, version of any vocabulary or grammar quiz to demonstrate proficiency after the successful completion of a relearning plan. Students will obtain a relearning form and devise an individual re-learning plan from a list of acceptable resources. Students will document their relearning and get parent approval prior to the retake.
There are, however, no retakes on any portion of a unit test or a final exam.
**Electronic devices are prohibited in class. Our primary focus is to communicate with other people in Spanish face-to-face. If phone use in class becomes an issue, I will notify parents/guardians.
I consider the use of any electronic device or translation program to translate any COMPLETE phrase, sentence, paragraph, or written text as academic dishonesty subject to the school’s policy.