To view the list of task force members, click here
To review the task force's process and timelines click here
March 15, 2017: final report presented
In response to increasing enrollment, last fall the School Board established a 39-member facilities task force to provide feedback on Mounds View Public Schools facilities this spring. Meeting monthly since September, the group of residents and parents, supported by staff and administration, compared current facility and program needs to the realities of a growing student body. Reviewing data, reports and studies, the task force and administration reported its findings to the School Board. View the full report here
. Specific feedback included:
- Updating and adding flexible spaces to all sites is the best approach to address enrollment and capacity issues into the future.
- As future space additions are considered, corresponding infrastructure updates are required.
- Preparing students for real-world experiences requires creative and collaborative spaces supported by progressive technology.
- Residents deserve to have District facilities that are comparable to other high-performing school districts.
- As improvements are contemplated, additional safety and security enhancements must be considered.
The School Board considered these recommendations, and agreed with the needs outlined in the report. In response, the Board directed the administration to create a facilities development proposal addressing the identified needs across the District and estimating the associated costs. The Board also directed the administration to create an accompanying timeline that would eventually allow it to propose a bond referendum for Election Day, November 7, 2017. If approved, funds from the bond would be used to add capacity, improve infrastructure, provide additional flexible learning spaces and enhance safety at all schools throughout the District. The Board also indicated it will seek community feedback on the proposal in the coming months.