Done for a decade
Mounds View has two voter-approved levies that have been in place since 2006. Since that time, voters have renewed each levy with no tax increase. This year, one of the levies is expiring. Without the revenue it provides, schools will lose $7 million every year.
This fall, the School Board proposes to combine the levies and add an increase that also accounts for inflation.
By combining the levies into a single 10-year levy, the District intends to avoid levy-renewal voter fatigue and to consider levy requests “Done for a Decade.”
If successful, the levy request would provide $12 million annually. This represents a monthly tax increase of $28 for owners of a median-valued home in our district. Residents can calculate their specific tax impact using this tax calculator.
With additional revenue, the District will have more reliable funding to provide stable class sizes and consistent programs for students – for the next 10 years.
In addition, the levy revenue will help enhance ongoing efforts to provide:
Download the District’s informational booklet.
Attend an informational presentation at any school.
Get answers to frequently asked questions.
Prepared and paid for by Mounds View Public Schools (Independent School District 621), 4570 Victoria St. N., Shoreview, MN 55126. This web site is not published on behalf of any candidate or ballot question.
5 Fast Facts
- It’s been 13 years since the District has requested a levy increase.
- During that time, the District’s two levies made it possible to maintain stable class sizes and programs.
- The bond voters approved in 2017 provides specifically designated funding to add much-needed space to school facilities. By law, this money can’t be used for classroom expenses.
- For special education services, last year alone the District spent $7 million more than it received from the state.
- Some class sizes are reaching the top end of the approved averages, while the District’s fund balance has dropped below the low end of recommended ranges.
Vote early in person at the Shoreview Library, 4560 Victoria Street North.
October 29 - November 1: noon - 6 p.m.
November 2: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
November 4: noon - 5 p.m.
Or vote early by absentee ballot.
On Election Day, November 5, residents must vote at their precincts. For polling hours and locations, visit here.